Help to Claim Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit Replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support

With Universal Credit, you’ll usually get one monthly payment. This payment might be higher if you:

  • Look after one or more children
  • Work and pay for childcare
  • Need help with housing costs
  • Are disabled or have a health condition
  • Are a carer for a disabled person

How We Can Help?

Our Help to Claim Service

How to get help from Citizens Advice

If you have questions about Universal Credit, or are having problems making a Universal Credit Application, you can get help from Citizens Advice.

What can we help with?

  • Accessing the internet
  • Checking if Universal Credit is the right benefit for you
  • Setting up an email address
  • Setting up a bank account
  • Starting your online universal claim
  • Preparing for a JobCentre Plus interview
  • Applying for advance payments and additional financial support

There is lots of information about Universal Credit on our public website:

After following the link above you can also speak to an adviser online using our webchat service.

Our Universal Credit Helpline is available Monday-Friday, 8am to 6pm on: 0800 144 8444

You can also drop in to speak to an adviser. Go to our Getting Advice page for details of our locations and opening times

What Details Will You Need to Make a Claim

To apply online you’ll need details of:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your postcode
  • your type of accommodation (for example private rental, council tenancy or housing association tenancy)
  • how much is your rent or mortgage (full amount, not just what’s left for you to pay after Housing Benefit)
  • any service charges you pay
  • your landlord’s address and phone number
  • your bank, building society, credit union or Post Office card account details
  • how much you earn from work (such as recent payslips, or accounts or receipts if you’re self- employed)
  • any income that’s not from work (for example a pension or insurance plan)
  • any savings or other capital you have (for example shares or property)
  • how much you pay for childcare (if you want to claim childcare costs)
  • child benefit reference numbers (you can find these on letters to you about child benefit - they start with ‘CHB’
  • details of any other benefits you’re getting