Research & Campaigns Volunteer
Why & How does Citizens Advice Fareham Campaign?
We record your problems and use this information to campaign for change. Citizens Advice regularly publishes reports, briefings, responses to consultations and parliamentary briefings on a huge range of issues. Citizens Advice Fareham contributes to many of these initiatives through the evidence we send to Citizens Advice. It is often the weight of evidence from real people and their problems that will make Government and other organisations change their policies.
In Fareham, we work to change things that operate unfairly and to stop changes that will make life more difficult for people. We use our knowledge of what happens to our clients to try to ensure that any changes made will improve matters for everyone – not just those who have asked us for help.
We do this through our contacts with MPs, councillors, and local and national government officials among others. We may write letters or produce reports, depending on the problem. We try to work with other Citizens Advice, or other local charities and voluntary organisations to influence change locally.
Research & Campaigns Volunteer
Purpose of the role
- Assist with coordinating, promoting campaigns and being involved in research and campaigns activities in the office.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Keep up to date with research and campaigns issues
- Monitor trends in enquiries, to identify issues for potential local or national research and campaigns work.
- Monitor the research and campaigns round up, Citizens Advice and other publications and newsletters.
- Network with other people involved in research and campaigns work within Citizens Advice, locally, regionally and nationally.
- Network with other local groups and agencies involved in research and campaigns work.
- Maintain the profile of research and campaigns within Citizens Advice Fareham
- Report on research and campaigns issues at workers' meetings.
- Promote discussion on research and campaigns issues and campaigns.
- Contribute to learning about research and campaigns
- Contribute to effective research and campaigns work within the local office
- Assist in reviews the effectiveness of existing research and campaigns work.
- Assist in reviews of the priorities for research and campaigns work within the local office.
- Assist in evaluation of Citizens Advice Fareham research and campaigns initiatives.
- Make proposals for new research and campaigns initiatives.
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings, as agreed with the manager.
- Assist with developing systems for recording and monitoring research and campaigns work in the local office.
- Maintain systems for recording and monitoring research and campaigns work in the local office
- Maintain records for statistical monitoring and reporting.
- Work within Citizens Advice Fareham wider systems and procedures.
- Uphold the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service.
- Work within the service's policies and values, especially equal opportunity and anti-discrimination policies.
- Work within health and safety guidelines and principles, sharing responsibility for own health and safety and that of colleagues.
Personal skills and qualities that a Research and Campaigns Volunteer needs:
- A strong sense of justice.
- Understanding of the importance of research and campaigns work.
- Understanding of key current social issues, and their potential impact on Citizens Advice clients.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service.
- Good report-writing skills.
- Ability to work constructively with other agencies.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative, within given guidelines.
- Basic IT skills and willingness to learn further IT packages.
- Good level of written and spoken English.