Is Volunteering with us right for you, right now?
You may have questions about whether volunteering is right for you. Here is some information that may help answer some worries people have:
I am currently getting advice from Citizens Advice Fareham, is that OK?
We cannot give advice to anyone who works for us or volunteers for us, as there can be a conflict of interests and we need to be sure we are fair and impartial to everyone who gets advice from us. We usually say its best not to volunteer with us if you have had advice in the past 6 months, in case there is any follow up needed , but that timescale is not set in stone. If someone volunteers with us and then needs advice, they can get it - but from another citizens advice office (Havant, Gosport, Southampton, Eastleigh or Winchester)
I am claiming benefits, will volunteering affect them?
Volunteering should not affect your benefits. Read more details here
I have a criminal record, can I still volunteer?
Citizens Advice have an ex-offenders policy to ensure that ex-offenders are treated fairly.
Having a criminal record is not in itself a barrier, and we will only take relevant convictions or sexual offences into account. We consider each offence individually, looking at issues like risk to the client, how long ago it took place, the circumstances and whether they are relevant to the volunteer role. A few roles may require DBS checks - we will make it clear which roles do in the role descriptions, if you are not sure please ask us.
Anyone with a caution or conviction for a sexual offence against a child or vulnerable adult is considered unsuitable to volunteer.
We will ask about unspent convictions as part of the application process. If you’re concerned or would like to discuss your individual circumstances further, please contact us on 01329 237 121 and ask for Jacquie or Biddy.
People like me* don't do volunteering...
Maybe you have an image in your head of what a volunteer should look like, and that image doesn't look like you.
- want to make a difference in the local community
- Enjoy helping people
- Respect other peoples’ views, values and culture
- Can use a computer and the internet
- Able to commit at least 2 hours per week
then go have a look in the mirror, because that is what a volunteer looks like!
- We need volunteers who reflect everyone in our community - all ages from 18 to 80 plus, with any level of work experience are welcome.
- We champion equality for our clients, and we welcome volunteers who will reflect the diversity in our community, and would love every ethnic background, religion, sexuality and gender to be represented in our volunteers.
- We have roles or can adapt roles for people with a wide range of physical ability, and we can support volunteers with mental health issues.
- If you have been out of employment for a while and are lacking in confidence, we can support our volunteers with that.
- Parents & carers, part time workers - we can be flexible around your other commitments.
If you think you have a barrier to volunteering, contact us and let's see if we can work around it. Call on 01329 237 121
What we need most right now:
We are looking for Administration Volunteers to answer the phones on Monday Mornings and Tuesday Mornings. We are hoping for one of these volunteers to have an interest in helping maintain our financial records, one to have an interest in promotions and marketing and one to have an interest in campaigns and research.
We are looking for people to act as Initial Check Volunteers throughout the week
We are looking for a volunteer for our reception on a Wednesday.
We are also trying to build up a group of promotions 'friends'.
But we are always happy to hear from people about any of the roles below, at any time.